8-sided (16 repeats) fold and cut paper cutting is one of the most popular fold and cut methods that people like to do.
The 8-sided fold and cut paper cuttings are more delicate compared to the 4-sided cuttings
It because after you fold the paper, it will have 16 layers. It is harder to cut compared to 6-sided snowflake (12 repeats), 5-sided (10 repeats), and 4-sided (8 repeats) fold and cut.
The cutting will be harder to cut, so I suggest to use thinner paper to make the cutting a little easier to handle for kids age 8-12 or older.
8-sided paper folding methods is basically like the 4-sided folding methods, with one extra folding step.
We need a piece of squared paper, the size can be any sized you want, but not small than 4" x 4" or 6" x 6" squared paper for your first practice.
Remember always fold the colored side of the paper inside, if your paper is colored on one side. You will draw the pattern on the white side.
1. Fold the paper into half, and the colored side of the paper inside.
2. Then fold into another half; keep the center toward to you
3. Then fold into half again, into a triangle this time, as the pictures shows. Keep the center toward to you.
4. The last folding step is to fold the triangle again into half on the center corner, it will look like the pictures shows below after you finished.
5. After you finish folding the paper, it will look like this.
Go to 8 Points/sided patterns and print them
they are free to download.
6. After you print the pattern, you can also make the pattern bigger to fit your cutting, cut it out as the picture shows
7. You can draw the pattern onto your paper, or you can put the pattern onto the folded paper.
* Keep the center and the folded paper center in the same direction.
8. Trace the pattern onto the paper.
9. Now use the scissors and start cutting your paper. Always cut the inside lines and smaller parts first.
10. The last cut is the outside line(s).
11. Carefully open it by reverse the folding steps
12. Be careful to open it, because it can be torn easily.
13. Enjoy your beautiful paper-cutting
You can go to the follow links to try other fold and cut paper cuttings:
Symmetrical (2-Sided) Fold and Cut Patterns
4-Sided Fold and Cut Patterns
5-Sided Paper Folding and Cut Patterns
Snowflakes (6-Sided Paper) Folding and Cut Patterns
Chains Paper Cutting Patterns